The Paddy O’Rourke Poetry Scholarship will be awarded annually, at the discretion of the Scholarship judges and administrators. The amount awarded is determined in part by donor support.
The current scholarship is $1,000 CAD.
Please carefully review the application criteria to ensure your submission will be considered. Incomplete applications will be discarded without further consideration or notice.
The successful applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a Saskatchewan resident completing Grade Twelve in Saskatchewan or one who has graduated from Grade Twelve in Saskatchewan within the past 24 months. You can apply for the Scholarship only once.
- Be accepted into, or plan to attend in the fall of the year of the award, a post-secondary institution and be enrolled in at least one class in the literary arts (e.g. English 101; a creative writing class, etc.) or demonstrate how you will seriously continue to advance your literary skills.Note: Scholarship funds will be issued upon proof of enrollment to a post-secondary institution as per the above. The post-secondary institution does not have to be in Saskatchewan.
- Provide a letter (written by the applicant) indicating reasons why he or she deserves to be awarded the Scholarship. Important factors include participation in writing-related activities (e.g., editor of the school newspaper; involvement in a local library writers’ club; reply letters from publications who have considered your work, regardless of whether or not that work was accepted). Note that the writer’s talent – not financial need – is the sole focus for the Scholarship. All entries are first copied, vetted and coded, to ensure that judging takes place without knowledge of the applicant’s name, address and contents of the covering letter. The letter must include:
- Current educational status (e.g., attending Grade Twelve) and educational institution where you are about to or have graduated.
- Your Full Name
- Your Address
- If you are under 18: Your parent or guardian’s contact information such as phone number and, if possible, email address.
- A statement which reads, “I agree to the terms and conditions of the Paddy O’Rourke Poetry Scholarship, including the right to release the winner’s name and sampling of his or her work to the media and general public. I further confirm that the poetry submitted is entirely the original work of the applicant.”If you are under 18, please have your parent or authorized caregiver sign this statement and print their name and date.
- Append a sampling of five to ten pages of the applicant’s poetry. (Note: This does not imply five to ten different poems; long poems that exceed one page are acceptable. HOWEVER, it is advisable to provide a variety of poems illustrating a variety of styles, rather than counting on just a few poems to win the day.) Please do not submit illustrations/images.
- Be sure to retain a copy of your work, as no submissions will be returned.
MAIL OR COURIER YOUR COMPLETED SUBMISSION – FOR DELIVERY BETWEEN APRIL 1 TO APRIL 30 – TO:
Paddy O’Rourke Poetry Scholarship
1126 2nd Street East
Saskatoon, SKS7H 1R5
Ph: (306) 241-7079