DEADLINE IS NOVEMBER 15, 2019
How to apply for the TD Scholarship for Community Leadership
Each year it seems like the cost of post-secondary education keeps getting more expensive. You’ve saved some money, but you still don’t think it’ll be enough. Maybe you didn’t spend your summers focused on making the most money, instead you created change. Then, there’s good news. The TD Scholarships for Community Leadership may be what you’re looking for.
What is it?
The TD Scholarship for Community Leadership awards students up to $70,000 for college or university (up to $10,000 for tuition per year, $7,500 a year for living expenses) for 4 years. It’s open to students across Canada who:
- Have demonstrated community leadership
- Are in final year of high school or CEGEP (in Quebec)
- Have a minimum overall grade average of 75% in their most recently completed school year
That’s me! I want to apply!
If this is something you’re excited about, then you should look out for applications starting in September. But here is the general process:
1. Write a 600-word essay (three copies) describing your community leadership experience.
- Why you got involved
- How your involvement shows initiative and innovation
- The ways your efforts have strengthened others
- How long you have been involved
- What you think the long-term impact will be
- How your community has affected you
2. Tell us about the other great things you’re doing. Include a brief description of the range of your other community activities with:
- A letter of recommendation from your school
- Two letters of support from community groups
- Your academic transcript
3. If you’re really trying to impress, you also have the option of including:
- A 250-word essay (three copies) describing your family and personal life, for example your family’s employment or economic situation
- A 250-word essay about your life experiences if you have taken a year or more away from high school or CEGEP