2017-2018 – Appliction period is over (deadline was December 15, 2017) – http://aghealth.usask.ca/scholarship/index.php
In 1995, SARM auctioned off the first copy of their history book, The Building of a Province: Commemorating the 90th Anniversary of the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities. This auction netted the sum of $2,600 which SARM contributed to the Centre for Agricultural Medicine. These funds initiated the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities 90th Anniversary $1,000 Student Scholarship in Agricultural Safety and Rural Health. The Canadian Centre for Health and Safety in Agriculture’s Founding Chairs Program maintains the scholarship.
This $1,000 scholarship is presented each year at the SARM Annual Convention.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be enrolled in grade 12 for the current school year;
- Be planning on studying at a Saskatchewan post secondary school in the fall following secondary graduation. Students can also be studying outside of Saskatchewan if the course is not offered in Saskatchewan;
- Have completed the last two years of high school in Saskatchewan;
- Have a farming background;
- Have parents or guardians who own/rent land and pay taxes to a rural municipality; and
- Live in a rural area.
Applicants must complete an application form and write a one-thousand word essay on the importance of safety and health on their farm or safety and health hazards on their farm.
For a complete list of criterion, submissions deadlines, or to download an application form, please visit the Canadian Centre for Health and Safety in Agriculture’s website.